Is that all?

Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Cylinder Heads.

I have taken both of the heads to the workshop and given them a good inspection.

Some exhaust studs are missing. This can be worrying as it either means that they were loose and cam of with exhaust (maybe damaged threads?) or someone started to remove them and couldn't get these ones out.

They are very coked up and very greasy. Looks like a valve has been open adjusted as it is burnt out and there is rippling of burn oil in the rocker box.

Some cracking on the inlet valves and pitting on exhaust valves.

Other than that, they are dandy!

I intend to replace all of the valves anyway. Got some nice Ivam Italian ones to go in.

Off for a degrease bath and a de-rust bath too.

These will need a nylon wire wheel to polish them up.

Right head is done.



Left Head:

Uh oh......

I think someone may have lost something...?

Good Cylinder
Smashed up Cylinder

 Blown Rocker box...

Need a new head I guess.... I will get this one re-ground and save it for a spare!
Luckily, I have a mountain of spare heads. I'll get digging!
Good head is a 113.101.373A and  this one is a 311.101.373B. Although pretty much interchangeable, I'd rather have two 113.101.373A 's on there like standard.

I'll get digging!

Now to get the exhaust studs out of the good head and replace with stainless, I'll use VW anti-seize nuts too!.

Tuesday, 18 March 2014


To attack some of the rust, I have made a solution of Toulene, Methylated Spirits, Soda Bicarbonate, and some washing up liquid.

 To make a good degreaser you need:

Something to thin the hydrocarbons (grease, oil, grime, etc), I used Methylated Spirit and Toluene solution (1:1),

Something to raise the Alkaline level, I used Soda Bicarbonate

A Surfactant, to treat the surface of material, I found washing up liquid did this the best.

Finally, I added a bit of water to bulk the solution.

Thinners 45%
Water 45%
Soda Bicarb 5%
Washing Up Liquid 5%

Sat the cylinders in a bath of this overnight.



May not look like much but they are now very dry and ready for de-rusting.

Soda Crystals (1 Tablespoon per Gallon of water)

An anode of sacrificial iron bar (re bar)

with the unit as a cathode

Battery charger (5 amp / 24 volt)

Run a current across the units in the solution and the rust comes away:

Wash them off and light brushing

Before and after:

Internals Next

Some of this stuff looks very cruddy and a bit rusted up:


Cylinders need some work...
Followers and Camshaft look pretty worn and there is some strange pitting on the cams
Flywheel is proper rusty
Heads need some attention as well

Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Fuel Pump Begins...

Got an old German fuel pump but I remember there are none of the gaskets or internals are available.
Thought I'd check,

Good News!

Borrachas E Autopecas in South America have started manufacturing rebuild kits.

For a South American product, the quality seems very high...



Front inspection plate off,

Top Cast off

Gaskets scraped out,

Filter and bolt removed,

Castings separated,

Diaphragm out,

Springs and push lever removed, (looks worn!)

Full degrease on all components,



 Replacements in the kit - £25.00!

Now to assemble, pre-tension diaphragms and test pressure....

Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Distributor Rebuild...

Solid distributor on there, rusted up like everything else.



Cap off, cracked!

Rotor Arm off.

Condenser off.

Points out.

Vaccuum Unit off, leaking!

Cap Clips off.

Swivel Plates out.

40 years of grime!

Dog Gear Retainig wire clip off

Dog Gear Retaining pin pressed out. (Contraption made from an old motorcycle valve spring compressor and a centrepunch)

Dog Gear out.

Shaft and rotory centrifugal gear degreased along with all other parts.

All parts dried throughly and lightly oiled for protection.

Shaft greased with Distributor Assembly Grease.

Washers replaced.

Shaft back in and Dog Gear re-attached.

Much Cleaner!

Felt re-inserted.

Swivel plates greased and back in.

Cap Clips back on.

New Points, set.

New Condenser.

New Cap.

New Rotor Arm.

New Ignition Leads.

Just a new shaft seal.